So, it’s in. I hadn’t realised before writing this book how addictive working on it would become. Worrying signs have included:
- writing in pyjamas or the nearest thing which came to hand
- omitting to clean teeth all day
- getting irritated for having to break off when you need the loo or to have a bath
- not noticing the weather or it growing dark outside
- wanting to get up early at weekends to continue
- sighing at having to go to previously-arranged social occasions with family or friends (and thinking about the book all the while when with them)
- being grumpy about clearing the table of papers and books when you need to lay up for a dinner party
- losing all track of time – what seems like 30 minutes has in fact been four hours
- willingness to subsist on endless snacks and breaking off to cook meals becomes an irritant
- seeing connections to your book everywhere you go, in the most obscure places.
To my long-suffering family and friends, all I can say is: thanks for your understanding and see you at the book launch!