Of course it’s lovely if people buy an author’s book. That’s what all authors want. But there are other ways you can show your support without necessarily buying the book yet, or if you’ve already pre-ordered it. Here are some simple, quick and FREE ways you can show your support for me or any other author you like…
1) Spread the word to friends and family about this amazing new book you know they will adore. Word of mouth is so important, especially if they’ve just read a review in a newspaper or magazine about it (or soon will). People generally buy something when they’ve heard about it five or six times from different sources.
2) Ask your local bookshop to stock it, in advance of publication (like lovely Toppings in St Andrews, above). This will help to reinforce the sales and marketing push they are getting from the publisher or which they’ll have picked up from the book trade.
3) With the festive season approaching, why not put it on your wish list for a loved one to buy for you?
4) Or maybe you have a birthday coming up and would like to ask for it as a present? Your friends and family may be racking their brains for what to get you.
5) If you’re on social media, then I’d love a retweet or comment on my posts about the book. For me, feel free to use the hashtag #NationalTreasures (let’s hope no-one thinks I’m setting up a Nicholas Cage fanclub).
6) If you’re in a book club, then why not suggest it for a future read? I’d be happy to supply you with some author questions for your discussions, as will most authors if you contact them.
7) Ask your local library to buy it. UK Authors get paid (yes really) each time a book is borrowed from a library. It’s only a few pence each time but it all mounts up. And, of course, librarians are great book buyers for themselves too.
8) If you have a local literary festival, and know the organisers, ask them to consider putting the author on the programme for next year.
9) When you’ve read the book, please leave a review on Amazon, Goodreads, Waterstones or any other suitable site (so long as it’s nice, of course!). Reader-to-reader recommendations are hugely powerful in driving sales.
Try one of those, or all nine – your favourite author will be very grateful for your help!